[Mne_analysis] Filter settings

Dirk van Moorselaar dirkvanmoorselaar at gmail.com
Wed May 8 11:14:31 EDT 2019

Dear,

For a time-frequency analysis I have used the following settings:

x_hilb = hilbert(filter_data(x, 512,8, 12, method = 'iir', iir_params = dict(ftype = 'butterworth', order = 5)))

A question by the reviewer now is how this filter affected the temporal resolution of the eeg signal. My understanding of filtering is very basic, but I believe in addition to the order of the filter this  is largely determined by both the frequency band of interest and the transition bandwiths. Is this correct, and if so how can I retrieve these bandwiths as I did not specify them myself. If not, are there any other parameters that I should report in the methods section in addition to the filter order.

Thanks in advance,

Dirk