[Mne_analysis] Temporal Resolution in Time-Frequency Analysis

Maryam Zolfaghar Maryam.Zolfaghar at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 2 15:21:44 EDT 2019

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for the information.

1. During the band-pass filter before applying Hilbert, some level of
smoothing happens. That is why I want to know my exact temporal resolution
to report in the paper. In MNE examples, I saw the code " w_size = n_cycles
/ ((fmax + fmin) / 2.) # in seconds
<https://mne.tools/dev/auto_examples/decoding/plot_decoding_csp_timefreq.html#sphx-glr-auto-examples-decoding-plot-decoding-csp-timefreq-py>"
to calculate the infer window size but I am not sure whether this is the
way to calculate the temporal resolution according to the number of
cycles and the frequency of interests (fmin, fmax).

2. Thanks for the links. However, my question was more about the way they
implement the filter in eegfilt routine in MATLAB (a two-way least-square
FIR filter with maximally steep roll-offs and an extremely narrow
transition band).

I would be thankful if you could help me with the above questions.

Thanks,
-Mary