[Mne_analysis] Reading annot.fif file

Stout, Jeff (NIH/NIMH) [C] jeff.stout at nih.gov
Wed Sep 25 14:29:44 EDT 2019

MNE group,

I am trying to extract annotations from a file reviewed and manually tagged using the MNE-C mne_browse_raw command.  This operation creates a -annot.fif and a -eve.fif file.  After I close the dataset and open it again using mne_browse_raw, I am able to see the events that I have defined.

Is it possible to import these events/annotations into MNE-python.  When I load the data using mne.io.read_raw_fif, the raw.annotations is empty.  I have tried mne.annotations.read_annotations('data-annot.fif') but it says that no annotation data is present.  I have also used the mne_process_raw to try to convert the annotations for import  (with the --event -eve.fif), but it still says that no events are found.  Is there a commandline method to import the annotations defined in MNE-C?

Thank you,
Jeff Stout