[Mne_analysis] BEM coordinate frame?

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 17:29:14 EST 2020

Karin,

You have to be careful following the OPM example
<https://mne.tools/dev/auto_examples/datasets/plot_opm_data.html>, see the
note from it:

The Head<->MRI transform is an identity matrix, as the co-registration
> method used equates the two coordinate systems. This mis-defines the head
> coordinate system (which should be based on the LPA, Nasion, and RPA) but
> should be fine for these analyses.

The BEM in MNE is in MRI (freesurfer surface RAS) coordinates as defined by
the Freesurfer reconstruction. This example and related documentation might
help you sort out what you are trying to do:

-
https://mne.tools/stable/auto_tutorials/source-modeling/plot_source_alignment.html
-
https://mne.tools/dev/overview/implementation.html#meg-eeg-and-mri-coordinate-systems

plot_alignment <https://mne.tools/dev/generated/mne.viz.plot_alignment.html>
is what I always use to make sure everything is coregistered properly.

Eric