[Mne_analysis] modify the channel

Phillip Alday phillip.alday at mpi.nl
Fri Jul 10 07:45:32 EDT 2020

Please keep the list in CC.

The channels module has the tools to load and manipulate montages (both
custom and built-in):

https://mne.tools/stable/python_reference.html#module-mne.channels

I would not recommend modifying the actual files for the built-in
montages because that would change the behavior of MNE for all data,
including examples that depend on the built-ins working as they are
distributed.

For the difference between montage and layout, see the glossary
(https://mne.tools/stable/glossary.html), but here the relevant points:

layout

    A |Layout|
    <https://mne.tools/stable/generated/mne.channels.Layout.html#mne.channels.Layout>
    gives sensor positions in 2 dimensions (defined by |x|, |y|,
    |width|, and |height| values for each sensor). It is primarily used
    for illustrative purposes (i.e., making diagrams of approximate
    sensor positions in top-down diagrams of the head, so-called
    topographies or topomaps).

montage

    EEG channel names and the relative positions of the sensor w.r.t.
    the scalp. While layout are 2D locations, montages give 3D
    locations. A montage can also contain locations for HPI points,
    fiducial points, or extra head shape points. See |DigMontage|
    <https://mne.tools/stable/generated/mne.channels.DigMontage.html#mne.channels.DigMontage>
    for the API of the corresponding object class.

HTH

Phillip