[Mne_analysis] Python 3 support?

Denis-Alexander Engemann d.engemann at fz-juelich.de
Thu Nov 28 11:19:11 EST 2013

Hi Nick,

thanks for your feedback, this is nice to hear!
Your request is very timely. Indeed, we were thinking about a Python 3
port as one of the potential goals / milestones for the next release
cycle.
As Alex mentioned, Mayavi2 which we use as 3D visualization backend is
a blocker to Python 3 support. This is because, most probably, it will
never be ported to Python 3. However, I'm confident a solution can be
found to this.

Looking forward to discussing details on Github,

Denis

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Alexandre Gramfort
<alexandre.gramfort at telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
> hi Nick,
>
>> I found out about MNE recently after becoming fed up of the headache of
>> Matlab for EEG/MEG work (I'm a long term Python user). I've read up about it
>> in the recent NeuroImage paper, and am impressed with the number of features
>> and like the philosophy!
>
> that's great to hear !
>
>> Sorry if this has been raised before (couldn't find an issue for it on the
>> Github), but is there plans for Python 3 support? The rest of my python
>> analysis code is now in Py3, since the majority of major scientific
>> libraries now support it (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pandas, scikit-learn
>> etc.), and sometime in the future it would be good to not have to go back
>> and forth between Py2/3.
>
> it would be great to port it to Python 3. It has not been done yet
> because nobody asked for it. The core devs still use 2.7.
>
> If you could start to take a stab at it and send us a pull request, it
> would be break.
>
> we'll enable python 3 on travis for continuous integration.
>
> the only (thankully weak) dependency that will not work is Mayavi.
>
> See you on github
>
> Best,
> Alex

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH