[Mne_analysis] EEG reference

Marijn van Vliet w.m.vanvliet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:54:16 EDT 2017

Hi Mengting,

let me chime in here. Whenever you are doing EEG analysis, the choice of
reference is important. EEG measures voltage, which is the difference in
electric potential between two points. This means, there's technically
no such thing as "the voltage at electrode Cz", there is only "the
difference in electric potential between electrodes Cz and the one I
stuck on the nose" (or whatever reference electrode you used, could be CMS).

After the recording, it is easy to "re-reference" the data, which is
choosing a difference electrode as a reference. For example, to move
from the nose reference to channel Pz as reference, you can just do: Cz
= Cz - Pz and you have a voltage at the Cz channel with Pz as reference.

You can imagine your data often looks completely different, depending on
the reference you choose. If you choose Pz as a reference, the signal at
Pz will be 0 (Pz - Pz) and all channels surrounding Pz only have a very
small signal. If Pz contained oscillatory activity (maybe alpha
rhythms), you would see alpha power at every electrode *except*
surrounding Pz. For example you would see "negative" alpha at Fpz
(remember, we're looking at Fpz - Pz).

So maybe Pz is not a very useful reference. We would like to have some
"neutral" reference that doesn't contain signals of interest. This is
why nose and mastoids are popular locations for the reference. But
there's another option: choose the average of all electrodes as "virtual
reference". With this reference, at any time, mean(Cz, Pz, ...) = 0.
This is the reference assumed by forward models, which is why when doing
anything that involves the forward model (source localization,
connectivity analysis at the source level, etc.) your data needs to be
in this reference.

One thing you need to be aware of when re-reference to an average
reference is that the reference is, you know, the average of all
electrodes. If one of the electrodes is noisy (maybe it got loose during
the experiment), this ruins the reference signal, and since the
reference is subtracted from all sensors, it ruins the signal at *all*
sensors.

So, first use a sensors which you know for sure has a good signal as a
reference (preferably a "neutral" reference like the noise, mastoids or
earlobe), then inspect the data to spot all sensors that have problems.
Either remove them from the data or have MNE-Python reconstruct the
signal at the bad sensor by interpolating the neighbouring sensors.
Then, when the data is squeaky clean, move to the average reference.

regards,
Marijn.