[Mne_analysis] Error about brainvision EEG data reading (Xia Tao)

Stefan Appelhoff stefan.appelhoff at mailbox.org
Mon Jul 15 04:16:24 EDT 2019

Hi Everybody,

The vmrk file in the demo data contains the timestamp: 20141204100512303000

Let me quote from the BrainVision Recorder manual (Appendix C):

> The date has the following format:
> 4 digits = year
> 2 digits = month
> 2 digits = day
> 2 digits = hour (24-hour system)
> 2 digits = minute
> 2 digits = second
> 6 digits = microsecond

Thus, the recording date was the 4th of December, 2014 at 10:05.

To me, this date is well specified. What surprises me however, is the
"-1" in the line:

> Mk1=New Segment,,1,1,-1,20141204100512303000

The -1 corresponds to the channel index this event relates to. Usually,
this is "0" for the "New Segment" marker (because "0" means the event is
related to all channels). Perhaps this occurs, because the data was
written with PyCorder instead of the more commonly used BrainVision
Recorder? --> See third line in the .vhdr ... it could be a PyCorder bug?

Anyhow, the fix is to change a RegExp in our BrainVision IO code, so
that it can also deal with this unexpected negative number.

I have submitted a PR here:
https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/pull/6571

Let's continue the discussion on GitHub if needed.

Best,

Stefan