[Mne_analysis] Digitization points not in head coordinates, contact mne-python developers

Rhys Hobbs rhys.hobbs at otago.ac.nz
Sun Feb 23 17:24:40 EST 2020

Hello,

I'm messaging because I recieved the error  "RuntimeError: Digitization points not in head coordinates, contact mne-python developers" while trying to bring up a topography plot using

plot_projs_topomap(). Some background: I have some eeg data that has already been preprocessed in eeglab which I would like to load into MNE. I managed to load just the eeg data into MNE using

mne.io.read_epochs_eeglab(). However, it seems that read_epochs_eeglab() ignores the location data stored in the eeglab EEG file structure. I assume this is becuase the function only cares about extracting the "raw" data from the .set file?

Below is my code which calls the data stored in the attached zip file:

import os
import mne

eeg = mne.io.read_epochs_eeglab('009testData.set')

montage = mne.channels.make_standard_montage('standard_1020')

#Storing digitization points  1-58 into the mne.io.eeglab.eeglab.EpochsEEGLAB type object:
#NOTE: The digitization points stored in montage don't match the ones stored in the eeglab
#      data. However, I have determined that this is unrelated to the error in question.
eeg.info['dig'] = montage.dig[3:len(eeg.info['ch_names'])+3]

#Attempting to plot the topography plot:
fig = eeg.plot_projs_topomap()

I'm pretty new to MNE and the concept of montages as a filetype confuses me. But if you have any pointers/could advise me what exactly I've done wrong I'd really appreciate it.

All the best,

Rhys