Hello gentle readers and experts of FreeSurfer,
I am using the FS software package to calculate the gyrification index for
premature baby brain. Of course in order to get to this step I do need to
run the previous autorecon steps to obtain the pial surface.
So far I've run the first sequence for one of my test subjects, recon-all
-autorecon1, and encountered no errors.
For the second step autorecon2 I have decided to run every subsequent step,
firstly, because if I understand correctly from the wiki-webpage the flag
-noaseg is necessary if the subjects cannot use an aseg, like baby brain.
Secondly, due to the poor T1,T2 intensity contrast in my baby-scans the FS
default segmentation step was not performed correctly (large portions of
white matter were not counted). So I include my own segmented white matter
volume. To include my WM volume I have used "mri_convert -c" to convert
analyze data into .mgz format.
The steps from the second sequence that I ran without getting any errors
are:
"-gcareg", "-canorm", "-careg", "-careginv", "- rmneck", "-skull-lta",
"-normalization2 -noaseg", "-maskbfs" .
At the step "-fill -noaseg" the errors are:
min_slice = -1, min_area = 65536
mri_fill: could not find corpus callosum
find_cutting_plane:seed point not in structure! Searching neighborhood...
recon-all -s blob2test exited with ERRORS at Tue Sep 14 13:18:14 CEST 2010
After this error I used the command: "recon-all -fill -cc-crs -pons-crs
-lh-crs -rh-crs -noaseg -s blob2test"
and got a bus error:
/Applications/freesurfer/subjects/blob2test/mri
\n mri_fill -a ../scripts/ponscc.cut.log -Cv -pons-crs -lh-crs -rh-crs
-xform transforms/talairach.lta wm.mgz filled.mgz \n
logging cutting plane coordinates to ../scripts/ponscc.cut.log...
using voxel position ( 0, 0, 0) as corpus callosum seed point
INFO: Using transforms/talairach.lta and its offset for Talairach volume ...
reading input volume...done.
searching for cutting planes...voxel to talairach voxel transform
2.694 0.124 -0.276 -194.089;
-0.311 2.259 -0.788 -3.124;
0.090 0.794 2.183 -266.051;
0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000;
Bus error
recon-all -s blob2test exited with ERRORS at Tue Sep 14 13:20:58 CEST 2010
My suspicion is that the way I have converted my WM volume is not correct
and since the -fill uses the wm.mgz I do get error on this step. However I
also tried to "align" my wm.mgz with brain.mgz using: "mri_convert mywm.mgz
mynewwm.mgz --like brain.mgz". The "--apply_transform" option is not really
clear to me and I do not get any good results if I apply that to
mywhitematter.mgz.
I also used tkregister2 to align the two volumes: my white matter with
brain.mgz for example. But the wm.mgz file I've saved after registration to
brain.mgz it could not be opened in tkmedit anymore so I decided not to use
it as wm.mgz further.
I do want to use my white matter segmentation and continue with the steps in
order to calculate with FS a pial surface, inflated surface, gyrification
index, etc. for both hemispheres. I am also aware of the fact that using an
adult atlas for baby scans is not correct so this might be also causing
errors. One next step would probable be to make a baby brain atlas and
include that instead of the */average/*.gca files.
What do you suggest as first starting point in solving the errors?
Thanks a million for your answer !!
Best regards,
Sabina